Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Shepherd's Pie


Shepherd's Pie is an English dish, traditionally made with lamb or mutton. Americans typically make Shepherd's Pie with beef. Naming conventions aside, Shepherd's Pie is essentially a casserole, lined with cooked meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes and baked. I used beef for making it.This dish is my all time favorite. The recipe is actually from my mom and I tried to build on that. I always had the feeling that it was very difficult to make. But it is not that difficult as I thought. But I should say it is time consuming. 'A' had a hectic day at office. So I thought I will make his favourite dish . I gathered the ingredients I thought I needed and went rummaging through my moms famous recipe book to find the recipe.


Recipe Source : My Mom


Ingredients

1 kg meat
salt
1 Handful red onions
1 handful garlic cloves
1 piece ginger
8 green chillies
2 tsp pepper powder
2 glassess water

Cook in cooker with weight. After 8 minutes, open and set aside 3 glassess stock. Mince the meat. Add 2 Tbs vinegar and keep.

4 large onions sliced long
4 Tomatoes finely sliced
8 Tbs Maida.

Heat oil. Fry the onions, when transluscent add the tomatoes and when oil seperates add the mince meat and mix. Cook the mince meat until it turns brown. Then add the maida and mix well for some time. Add the stock and boil and set down. Transfer the meat to a greased baking dish.

Potato Layer:

1 kg potatoes
Salt
2 Egg yolks
4 Tbs Milk
4 Tbs butter or ghee

Wash the potatoes and cook in pressure cooker with weight for 10 minutes with level water. Peel and mash the potatoes. Mix all the other ingredients. Spread over the meat in the baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. You seem to be on a roll!!! Mouth-watering dishes! Lucky A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are preparing for the lent!!! So trying out all the non- veg dishes now!!!

    ReplyDelete